The ‘Hump Day Hot Tips’ series from our industrial design training site cadjunkie has been off to a great start after three weeks of looking at splines in SolidWorks.
This week, industrial designer Adam O’Hern takes a look at how to avoid inflections and gain better control over your splines using the most common spline creation methods.
After you watch, be sure to head over to cadjunkie for the full library of other design training videos!
SolidWorks Hump Day Tips 04: Methods for Fine-Tuning Splines
In the fourth installment of our new ‘Cadjunkie Hump Day Series’ we’ll continue our work on splines with the goal of becoming a curve-controlling Spline Ninja. This week we’ll review a few of our traditional spline creation methods and introduce a new method, the ‘Style Spline’.
- Review of ‘old-fashioned’ spine creation method
- How do ‘curvature inflections’ occur?
- Using the ‘Conic Curve’ tool
- Overview of ‘Style Splines’
- Fine-tuning for clean continuity
Be sure to check back every Wednesday for a new Hump Day Hot Tip! In case you missed them, here’s a roundup of the previous tips:
SolidWorks Hump Day Tips 01: Connect Two Splines (Part I)
Greetings cadjunkies! In this new ‘Hump Day’ series we’ll be presenting some of the most common questions we get asked over at cadjunkie HQ. This week we’re taking a look at connecting two separate splines into one beautiful clean spline.
- Overview of two separate splines
- Combine two splines into the same sketch
- Combine two spines into one
SolidWorks Hump Day Tips 02: Connect Two Splines (Part II)
In this second installment of our new ‘Hump Day’ series we’ll continue to work on connecting our two splines that we started on last week. As you’ll recall, last week we left off with a slight ‘hump’ in our resulting connected spline. This week we’ll take a look at how to further finesse our connected result into one seamless and smooth curve.
- Recap of last week’s Hump Day tip
- Explanation of curve types
- Methods for smoothing out two connected splines
SolidWorks Hump Day Tips 03: Style Splines
In this third installment of our new ‘Hump Day’ series we’ll continue to work on our methods of connecting two splines that we started our first week. This week we’ll take a look at an alternate method for SolidWorks 2014 users that gives us more control than the methods we’ve looked at thus far in the series called the ‘Style Spline’.
- Quick review of previous spline method
- Overview of a ‘Style Spline’
- Methods for locking and smoothing a ‘Style Spline’