Recently, Shapeways announced a new ‘Maker-Only’ material in the form of Elasto Plastic – a high strength, high flexibility, low detail silicone-like material. Today, Shapeways introduced yet another material offering for all you happy-go-lucky Makers: Gold Plated Brass. Speaking of which, I’m pretty sure a Crania Anatomica Filigre from Joshua Harker would look good on my mantel in gold.
New Gold Plated Brass Offering from Shapeways
The Gold Plated Brass models (at $35 per Cubic Centimeter) that Shapeways is currently offering consist of a complex process not too far off from other metal fabrication techniques:
Shapeways Gold Plate Brass Fabrication Process
1) The model itself is printed in a wax using a specialized Hi-Res 3D Printer
2) The model is then placed in a container of liquid plaster that will become the mold
3) Once the plaster sets, the wax is melted out of the furnace to reveal the mold
4) Molten brass is poured into the plaster mold, which is then broken off once cool
5) Final brass piece is cleaned and polished
6) Clean and polished brass piece is electroplated with a thin layer of nickel for durability and finished with an outer layer of high quality 24K gold
According to the Shapeways blog, the material is under a test run through August 25th. If you’ve ever used the premium silver material offering from Shapeways then the process should be familiar for you.
Price per CM3: $35.00
Minimum Wall Thickness: 0.8 mm
Maximum Bounding Box: 100 x 100 x 30 mm
Oh, and for the record…looks like you can get a Crania Anatomica Filigre if you feel so inclined:
(images via Shapeways)