If you were not paying attention to AstroPrint, the startup that changed the pains of makin’ with their 3D printing software and wireless capability, then you’ll want to take notice of what they’ve been up to lately. AstroPrint has had a string of product launches this month.
First, they announced the public unveiling of AstroPrint Mobile, their cross-platform (iOS & Android) mobile app. It’s had quite an overhaul over the past few years, with improvements made after receiving feedback from their users. With it you can:
- Print from your AstroPrint Cloud File Manager
- Remotely Monitor Your Printer
- Get Push Notifications About Printer Status
- View your Print History and Print Analytics
- Print from the Thingiverse app
Now they’ve announced AstroPrint Desktop, a cross-platform, cloud-enabled Desktop app. What does it do?
AstroPrint Desktop allows you to print to your 3D Printer via USB without needing an AstroBox Gateway. Meanwhile, if you are an existing AstroPrint user, AstroPrint Desktop will extend your capabilities even further and make your workflow much more pleasant.
With it, you can:
- Scale, Rotate and Multiply Objects
- Print via USB without an AstroBox Gateway
- Diagnose prints with the GCODE Viewer
- Find printers on your network easily
- Sync with your cloud file manager
- Create a new Printer Profile
- Add a new Printer
- Access your Custom Slicer Settings
- Control your local printer
- Access the GCODE Terminal
- Access your files in the cloud File Manager
Also, if you were not aware, AstroPrint is raising funding via Microventures where you can become an investor (of sorts) yourself. They’re nearing their lower goal with over 100 investors already onboard.
AstroPrint is on a mission it seems and they’ve got an interesting business model to go with i. They provide the software for free or for purchase pre-installed. Their hardware is available for purchase or, in the case of their AstroBox Gateway, to purchase or build yourself. All of this, AstroPrint Mobile and AstroPrint Desktop is brought together by AstroPrint Cloud which provides you access to your printer, your data, model preparation and their 3D Printing App Marketplace.
Via AstroPrint Cloud, they also have a trend report publically available on their site, anyone involved in 3D printing or looking into buying a 3D printer will find absolutely interesting. They have a Printing API for developers and, obviously, some cool swag.