This contest is now over.
Thanks for everyone who participated in the contest! We had nearly 200 entries!! You can view them all here. Winners will be announced Monday, November 19th on the blog and also listed here.
This is it. It’s here! SolidSmack is putting on the contest of the year and giving you a chance to kickstart your lasercut toy project with a grand prize worthy of the excellence spewing forth from your brain pan! Why a lasercut toy? Because 1) it’s challenging and 2) there just are not enough lasercut trebuchets, trucks or fairy princess towers. We’re giving away a Lenovo W530 Thinkpad mobile workstation for the best entry, but that’s not all. The winning design also receives a seat of SpaceClaim, a Develop3D subscription, a cadjunkie Pro membership and their entry cut out and delivered by Ponoko! Here are the details.
Have you ever wanted to make your own toy? Or, maybe you already have an idea for one? Now is your chance to make it happen. We’re not stopping at just the design though, oh no. With this contest, you’ll be able to get it in your hand, plus have the tools and resources to get your project ready for a crowdfunded product launch or begin making and selling it through Ponoko! Here’s how it works…
Simple. Create the coolest laser cut toy ever imagined.
- All submissions must be made between Monday, October 8th (12am PDT) and Monday, November 12th, 2012 (11:59pm PDT)
- Any medium is allowed, physical or virtual, so long as it communicates the design of an actual lasercut prototype: cut paper, cardboard, styrene, balsa wood, ginger bread, Sketchup, 123D, Rhino, SpaceClaim, SolidWorks, NX, or anything else you can think of… whatevs!
- Must be a laser-cuttable design, e.g. planar elements to create a 3D design (See tips below)
- Multiple entries may be submitted. (each submission counts as an entry!)
- Please include a universal CAD format, such as STEP or IGES, in the upload
- Submit entries to GrabCAD Challenge page
- Think about aspects that make it both attractive to kids and kids-at-heart, moms and makers.
- Look through other laser cut Kickstarter projects that have been successfully funded
- Look through Ponoko’s 2D design guide
- Check out WoodMarvels.com site for inspiration (Over 70 toys!)
- Share the contest on Twitter and Facebook–the more the merrier!
- Here are three tutorials to help with your lasercut design:
One (1) Grand Prize entry receives:
Lenovo W530 Thinkpad mobile workstation!
SpaceClaim Engineer license!
Ponoko lasercut of your entry!
Cadjunkie.com Pro membership!
A 3D Animation of Entry from Wood Marvels! (example here!)
Five (5) Runner-ups receive:
Ponoko Making Voucher worth $50!
Premium cadjunkie.com membership
A GrabCAD T-shirt
Monday, October 8th, 2012
Monday November 12, 2012 (11:59pm PDT)
Judging & Announcement:
Judging will be done by EvD and sponsors. Grand prize and runner-up prizes will be announced Monday, November 19th, 2012 on SolidSmack.com and sponsor sites.
Josh Mings, SolidSmack.com
Adam O’Hern, cadjunkie.com
Blake Courter, SpaceClaim
Al Dean, Develop3D.com
Jon Cantin, WoodMarvels.com
Gabe Blanchet, GrabCAD.com
All right to the design, images and any other digital file of physical parts remain the property of the designer/engineer/tinkerer. By entering the contest, you give EvD Media and the contest sponsors permission to use images and other digital files for promotional purposes.