Sometimes when the sun is shining and there’s a light, misty acid in that air… you run screaming, jump into a barrel with your friends and push yourselves down a hill to escape the skin melt. Inevitably, the conversation in the barrel turns to the edgy discussion of Direct vs. Parametric modeling. For good reason too. It’s just the topic to get your mind off acid burn.
Such a discussion occurred today. Picture if you will, a webcast where the best and brightest of the CAD World gather together to discuss the age-old topic of Direct vs. Parametric modeling. In attendance, one 3D modeling software user and five 3D modeling software vendors. Certainly a lack of users. So now, it’s your turn. Direct or Parametric?
The webcast focused on “When, why, and how to use direct and/or parametric modeling in your business?” The attendees of the webcast were:
- John Buchowski, vice president, Creo product development, PTC
- Ben Eadie, blogger and SolidWorks instructor, UsingSolidWorks.com
- John McCullough, vice president, product management, Kubotek
- Mike Payne, co-founder of SpaceClaim, SolidWorks and PTC
- Dan Staples, director of Solid Edge product development, Siemens PLM Software
- Carl White, director, digital design product management, Autodesk
Other notable comments: