Model Number: 8400001085
Model Name: D5
Stove Recommendation: Gas, Electric, and Induction
Cookware Pieces: 3-quart saute pan, 8” and 10” fry pans, 1.5 and 3-quart saucepans with lids, and 5.5-quart Dutch oven with lid
Price:Check Price On Amazon
- Has a brushed finish which makes the appearance of the pieces easy to maintain.
- Thick cookware body due to the 5-ply bonded construction with alternating layers of stainless steel and aluminum.
- Offers well-balanced cookware bodies.
- Even heating even on induction stoves.
- Oven and broiler-safe and can handle up to 600°F of heat.
- The handles of pots and pans are long and have no sharp edges for a comfortable grip.
- The lids are also thick and fit well in their respective cookwares.
- Easy pouring, thanks to the flared rim of each piece.
- Perfect choice for home chefs and enthusiasts.
- Stains can be easily cleaned.
Indeed, cooking in stainless steel cookware isn’t as foolproof as using nonstick pans and pots. They are prone to stains and food sticking if they are not used properly, but they can be very durable and can offer you years and years of use. That’s certain. This is why professionals in the cooking industry commonly rely on them as they can bear continuous exposure to high heat, metal scratches, pounding, and more. The problem is that not all cookware in the said category can do that. You need the best stainless steel cookware set for that. Here is All-Clad D5.
Before All-Clad D5 had reached this top spot, it went through a series of tests together with 22 other stainless steel cookware lines from the leading brands in the market. We tried to weigh the quality and cost of each set to determine whether they are worthy investments or not. D5’s sibling, D3, was one of its closest rivals due to its cheaper price tag. Yet, after comparing the two, spending a bit more to get the better specs and performance of D5 proves to be okay.
D5 set is composed of a 3-quart saute pan, 8” and 10” fry pans, 1.5 and 3-quart saucepans with lids, and a 5.5-quart Dutch oven with a lid. You can also have the same items under the D3 collection but the main difference between the two lies in the number of plies used in each cookware. Unlike D3 and the other stainless steel cookware sets we tried, D5 comes with a total of 5 plies. The alternating layers of stainless steel and aluminum add to the thickness and heft of the cookware. And while the multiple plies make the cookware sturdier, their main purpose is to improve the ability of the pans and pots in distributing heat more efficiently.
In our test, D5 led the scoreboard in terms of even heat distribution. It showed no hotspots and the 2 plies of aluminum core seemed to perform really well in keeping the entire surface at the same temperature level. By keeping the appropriate low and medium cooking temperature (and not adding oil until the cookware is fully ready), foods didn’t stick to the 18/10 stainless steel cooking surface. We were able to sear steaks and fish fillets perfectly in 8” and 10” fry pans, while the 3-quart saute pan cooked the chopped garlic and onions quickly. On the other hand, the 1.5 and 3-quart saucepans managed to simmer the sauce we prepared without burning them. Lastly, we love how versatile D5’s 5.5-quart Dutch oven is. Besides using it for braising meat and cooking stews, it worked well when we tried it for baking artisan-style bread. The bread came out well-shaped with its crust having a notable crunch. We also tried it for baking potatoes and it baked everything at the right degree and time we anticipated.
What further added to the appeal of this 2021 best stainless steel cookware set is the fact that it is compatible with all cooktops. Besides gas and electric stoves, it is also optimized for induction stoves. Throughout our test, the surfaces of the items in the D5 set heated up uniformly from end to end.
On the other hand, D5 is also one of the easiest sets to clean up and it’s another thing our reviewers love about it. In case you have accidentally burned one of the pots or pans, it can be removed with just the right cleaners (we suggest Bar Keepers Friend) and it will still be as good as new afterward. The pieces are also dishwasher-safe, unlike their nonstick relatives that could easily wear out under such cleaning conditions. With this and D5’s quality build, you can be sure that you have the best stainless steel cookware set that can last many years.
All-Clad D5 FAQs:
Is the D5 set dishwasher-safe?
- Though the D5 stainless steel cookware set is durable, it is still suggested to manually clean the pieces by hand. This will help prolong their product life.
How do you clean the D5 set?
- Instead of putting them in the dishwasher, use mild detergent and a sponge. For discoloration or stains, try to use a reliable cleaning powder brand.
Can you use the D5 stainless steel cookware set on induction cooktops?
- Yes, you can. The D5 stainless steel cookware set is optimized to work well with induction cooktops.
Can you use the D5 stainless steel cookware set at a high heat setting?
- Yes, you can use the D5 cookware for high temperatures but it can cause the foods to stick and the body to experience discoloration. Read the proper instructions on how to properly use and maintain the set.