Pack your bags young people cause there’s a design gig to be had in Nashville, Music City USA! That is if you’ve got the chops to get da props. Fractal design, a physical product development firm just went live on the job board over on leManoosh with an Industrial design internship opportunity for spring 2021. Fractal is casting their net the world over to find creative talent with just the right fit. Fractal is laser-focused on the kind of talent they are looking for.
The Chops – (aka your budding skills)
I’ve culled their about YOU paragraph and highlighted a few must-have traits that stood out to me.
You are compulsive about learning new things, even if you’re not sure when you will use the knowledge. You pride yourself on being a good question-asker which allows you to refine vague instructions until you have a clear direction. You are comfortable with using power tools, but you’re careful enough to not make all of us uncomfortable with you using them. You keep up with Industrial Design trends and practice your craft in spare time. To you, making things and solving problems is the most fun you could have at work, and that’s why you are reading this now.Fractal, Partners
The Props – (Your Skill + Perks)
So your thinking you might want to apply? Keep in mind to even get your foot in the proverbial digital door, you’ve gotta be a Junior at minimum, Senior, or recent grad pursuing a BA or MA in Industrial Design. Now if any of these are your state of being, read on!
- Make clients happy by understanding them, solving their problems, and keeping them engaged.
- Assist with running and maintaining 3D printers
- Sketch design concepts
- Scrap together many quick mock-ups from all kinds of materials, especially 3D-printed ones.
- Design and assemble high-quality prototypes.
- Build CAD models using Onshape.
- Work closely with the Fractal team.
- Provide excellent documentation for your designs from initial research to calculations to finished specifications for manufacturing.
What I gather from this list is that you will have the privilege to engage in REAL Design work. That’s good stuff!
BTW, I highlighted the CAD software requirement for Onshape as I’m thinking it’s the start of a trend in the ID space. I had the opportunity to connect with Evan Reese one of the Fractal partners via a virtual Onshape user meeting. His surface modeling skills and exploration are next-level! If cultivating CAID and MCAD skills is one of your aspirations, this intern opportunity should be just the ticket.
Every job has its perks and Fractal has pulled together an assortment of intern perks worthy of noting. Check them out!
- Pay: $15/hour
- Maker Reimbursement – up to $50/month
- Access to 3D printers for personal use
- Stocked fridge and snacks
- Company events: hang out as part of the Fractal Team
- Join Nashville’s best product dev consultancy
Alright, I’ve sounded the call. If this post has piqued your curiosity, hop on over to leManoosh, or better yet, visit the Fractal site. Treat yourself to a self-paced virtual tour and team meet-n-greet. If you play it right (pun intended) come spring 2021 you’ll be making design in Nashville, Tennesse Music City, USA!