Believe it folks. SolidWorks eDrawings for Android is real, living in a small bungalow at the corner of Google Play and awesome. If I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes, I’m not sure I would have believed it. We’ve heard it’s ‘Coming soon’ for the past six months. SolidWorks user Jack Owen was the first to comment on the app page, echoing the sentiment of other users of the alternate mobile OS saying, “Finally! We’re there!” Yes, indeed Jack, yes indeed.
SolidWorks eDrawings for Android
The eDrawings for iOS app has been out for nearly a year to the day with a big update in February during SolidWorks World that brought augmented reality (AR) and new pricing to the app. The Android app lacks the AR, but you do get to pay $1.99 for the SolidWorks file viewer. You do have support for all SolidWorks files including both 2D and 3D formats with the ability to suck down those drawings from all the major cloud storage services. The rest is as you would expect with the zooming, panning, rotating and animating of your 3D views and the shocking of your friends and shop workers as they gaze upon your fun, new method of communicating design.
- Intuitive and easy-to-use user interface
- Open 3D (EASM, EPRT, SLDASM, SLDPRT), 2D (EDRW, SLDDRW) and associated files from any source: email attachments, cloud storage services (Dropbox™, SkyDrive®, Google Drive, Hightail®, and others), web and FTP sites and network folders.
- Zoom, pan and rotate your 2D or 3D CAD data using multi-touch
- Animate 3D standard views
- Browse your 2D drawing sheets
- View your designs in full screen and double tap to fit it on screen
- Sample files included